As a result of Liam McDonald resigning from his position of UK President with six months left in the term, we are holding a by-election for his position. As specified in the emails sent to our members, manifestos were called for and the result will be announced on 1st April, 2017. An electronic voting system will be used, with all paid members recieving a unique link via email with which to express their choice. Voting will be open from Wednesday afternoon until 3pm on Saturday.
A small meeting will be held in Cambridge from 11am-4pm, and a trip to a pub will probably ensue. Feel free to drop by – specifics will be sent out with your voting link!
Here is the manifesto of Chris Powers, the presidential candidate:
With YEM UK’s AGM to be held in October, there are still six months left of the current board’s term and a lot still left to do. I am running in the belief that YEM needs a steady and experienced pair of hands in the interim who can keep the organisation on its ever-upward trajectory, and that I can help facilitate and improve upon the great work of the current team.
- President of YEM UK – 2013-14
- YEM International Officer & Secretary – 2014-15
- JEF Europe Co-Chair of the Capacity Building Task Force
- Previously held a variety of roles in YEM Cambridge
- Academic specialism in the history of Britain and the European Union.
About Me: 24 years old, born in Scotland, grew up in Lancashire. After studying History in Cambridge, then European Studies at the College of Europe in Warsaw, I now live back in Cambridge.
I work in alumni relations in Cambridge, and as a research assistant to an academic studying Britain and the EU. I hope to start my PhD on the History of British Youth and EU integration in October 2017, when the mandate of this role would finish.
- Support and grow the current YEM board so as to better carry out campaigns, and events across the country
- Look into more ways of increasing funding for the organisation and branches through developing the alumni network, applying for grants, etc
- Boost morale in the current team and ensure that the board is able to develop themselves too
- Ensure a strong and stable handover in October in time for the Congress of JEF Europe to be held in Malta